What a phenomenal day for our opening night at Cedar Green. It was great to see so many ladies participate in our first Monday Ladies League Golf Day this season. We had wonderful weather and great turnout for our opening evening. We had a total of 121 participants, of which 21 were new golfers to our Cedar Green Ladies Golf Day.
Everyone who was present for this evening’s event was credited for their first day as a participant in Monday Ladies Golf Day, which will be reflected in our attendance records for the 2018 season. As well, all 100+ ladies who paid the $5 prize fee and joined us in the clubhouse qualified for the random prize draws including our final grand prize. (winners are listed below)
To help kick off the official opening day, our major sponsor Sam Yawney, the owner Pro Golf Liquidators donated a Taylor Made Kalea Ladies golf bag (valued at $200) as the grand prize. For the past 6 years Sam has donated prizes every Monday Ladies Golf Night and has expressed his sincere gratitude for the support lady golfers in our community have shown, by joining us on so many Mondays.
For our opening evening, Keandra (beverage manager) offered a drink special. Crazy Uncle Coffee coolers are being sold at the discounted price of $5. Free tasting samples were also promoted on the course and resulted in additional sales in the clubhouse after our game.
This year we have two new volunteers working with me, Linda Collison with the goal of achieving another great season. Our committee members are Linda Collison, Karen Hnatuk and Freida Nassas. Once again, Linda is responsible for keeping attendance records, and writing our weekly newsletter which she emails to the ladies who are on her distribution list. If you would like a copy of the newsletter emailed directly to you, please provide your current email address on the sheet that is circulated in the clubhouse each week. Otherwise you can read the weekly newsletter posted on the Cedar Green website, found at the following link: https://golfsudbury.com/news/monday-ladies-golf-day/ or hard copy will be posted every week on our bulletin board in the Ladies Locker.
This season, because our newly formed committee has a few rookies and due to feedback from last season’s golfers we have decided to only have 3 different formats of play which we will alternate weekly. Those formats will include play your own game (occasionally with free lift from water), 2 person scramble, and team shamble (using the best team drive then play your own game). This should result in fast play and less confusion for the golfers. Make sure to check our schedule posted in the clubhouse bulletin board or on the Golf Sudbury website https://golfsudbury.com/news/monday-ladies-golf-day/.
Another change this season will be the week day that we will host our wrap-up Night. As you may well know, as the sun set so early in September, many working ladies cannot play golf on our final evening due to the earlier shotgun start of 5 pm. Therefore Sam has agreed to open the course for a Saturday afternoon 3pm shotgun start on September 29th which will accommodate more golfers and dinner will be served at an earlier time.
Remember golfers who participate in 12 Monday Ladies’ Golf games between May 14th and September 24th, will qualify for the bonus draws when they attend our Wrap-up evening on Saturday, September 29th. Last season prizes were provided by over 57 businesses in the Sudbury and Algoma region, some valued over $250. This year Sam Yawney is donating a special bonus prize of a complete Ladies golf package for our Wrap up Evening.
Again this season we are offering golfers who join us at the 6:00 pm Shotgun Start the option to participate in the TWOONIE POT at a cost of $2.00. Should your tee-shot land within the flagpole length on the designated par 3 hole (hole#3 or hole #16), you will win cash in the pot. Should more than one person land within the flagpole length of the hole, the pot will be split between the winners. If no one is successful achieving this goal, the money will be accrued every week until a golfer succeeds.
If you were unable to book your starting hole on the Sign-up Sheet on Monday May 14th, you can call the pro shop at 705-560-1090, and the staff will assign a starting hole for next Monday Cedar Green Ladies Golf Night.
Next week on Monday May 21st, we will be playing a 2 person scramble format at the 6pm shotgun start. The following instructions should be reviewed by all teams prior to your game. These instructions will also be posted in the pro shop.
May 21st – 2 Person Scramble Format for 6:00 pm Shotgun Start
- Write the full names of the ladies forming your 2 person team on you score card.
- Each player of your team will hit an initial tee shot.
- The team will then decide the best shot and each player will hit their next shot from that location (spot).
- This format will repeat for each shot thereafter until completion of the hole.
- Record the team’s score on your score card.
Improving a Ball’s Lie
- Each team must mark the spot of each selected spot with a marker.
- Once marked, players may lift and clean their ball.
- Players may then place their ball no more than one club length from the original spot.
- This placement CANNOT be nearer to the hole nor may it improve the original lie.
- Placement of the ball may improve the team’s stance, swing, and line of sight as long as it is within the one club length limit.
- On the putting green, the ball may be placed one putter head length from the original spot no nearer to the hole.
- The holing of any shot will constitute the end of the hole for that team and that score will be final.
- This situation typically occurs when a player misses a putt and decides to putt out before the second player takes their putt.
- In this case, the second player will not have an opportunity to attempt the original putt.
This Week’s “Winners” each won $36.00 for the following:
1. Low Gross Score: Karen Raguin – 40 -lowest gross score
2. Low Gross Score: Lynn Beaudry – 42 – second lowest gross score
3. Low Gross Score: Sharon O’Brien – 44 – third lowest gross score
1. Luck of the Draw Score: Kim Glibbery
2. Luck of the Draw Score: Monique Berthiaume
3. Luck of the Draw Score: Carole Gour
Closest to the Pin (front 9 – hole # 5) Lorraine Knight
Closest to the Pin (back 9 – hole # 17) Lise Montpellier
Closest to the Line (front 9 – hole #1) Bev Speck
Closest to the Line (back 9 – hole # 11) Fern Nistico
The 50/50 draw in the amount of $121.00 was won by – Rose Sigouin
The twoonie pot in the amount of $77.00 was won by Sharon O’Brien and Chantal Rancourt (each received $38.50)
Since Kim Glibbery and Karen Raguin were not present at the clubhouse to receive their $36 prize vouchers they can pick them up from Karen Hnatuk at the Toonie Pot table next week or any following Monday.
This Week’s “Winners” of the random prize draws are the following;
Golfers who joined us after 6:00 pm game, names drawn for gifts donated by our sponsors.
1. Pro Golf Liquidators – $25 gift certificate: Lynn Beaudry
2. Toppers Pizza: Large Pizza: Diane Bradley
3. Enviro Trends: Beauty Gift Bag + $10 gift card: Yolande Rabiej
4. Giant Tiger: Golf balls +$10 gift card from Trade Secrets: Cathy Zinn
5. Dairy Queen (Sheila Lascelle – Lorne St. DQ): 8” cake: Jackie Kingsley
6. Marble Slab Creamery: $10 gift card: Jackie Hall
7. Skakoon Home Hardware: gift card: Bonnie Fletcher
8. M.I.C.: $20 gift card: Chantal Rancourt
9. Trade Secrets: beauty gift package: Nancy Keller
Bonus Prize Taylor Made Kalea golf bag donated by our major sponsor Sam Yawney owner of Pro Golf Liquidators, won by: Sharon O’Brien
The Cedar Green Ladies Golf Committee Linda, Karen and Freida thank you all for making our Monday Ladies Golf Night a very successful event.
We would also like to thank Keandra Beauvais (bar manager) and her staff for having a well-stocked bar for our opening night and to Kyle Lekun and the pro shop staff for processing so many ladies in such a short period of time then to Mel McLeod for getting the ladies out to their starting hole in time for the 6 pm shotgun start.
Hope to see you all next week.